Search information pages
3. What article metrics do BioMed Central journals provide?
The following metrics are currently available:
The number of times an article has been accessed (last 30 days, last year, all time). This does not currently include accesses from indexing sites, such as PubMed Central.
Highly accessed indicator
The 'highly accessed' indicator identifies articles which are highly accessed, relative to their age and the journal in which they were published. More information.
The GigaScience citation count is shown on the 'Article metrics' page. Links are provided to obtain citation lists and counts from PubMed Central, Scopus, Google Scholar and Web of Science.
If an article has been evaluated by the F1000 Prime Faculty, a link to the evaluation is provided.
Social media shares
We provide a number of ways to easily share articles, from the article page. Facebook, Twitter and Google+ buttons can be used to share articles from the article page. Counts are displayed for Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (however the reliability of these numbers can vary).
Altmetric.com tracks the discussion and dissemination of articles following their publication. It aggregates the mentions on twitter and social media sites, and coverage in online reference managers, mainstream news sources and blogs to present an overview of the interest a published article is receiving online. More information.
GigaScience displays the Altmetic.com score and 'donut' on the 'article metrics' pages of published articles. More information.
GigaScience is working on several fronts to expand the range of article metrics available.
Authors can also view the latest access statistics for all the articles they have published with BioMed Central by logging into the My Manuscripts page.
- What are article metrics?
- Why do BioMed Central journals provide metrics at the article level?
- What article metrics do BioMed Central journals provide?
- How do BioMed Central journals use article metrics to help readers discover interesting articles?
- Do the article access counts include accesses on other websites and bibliographic databases?
- How does BioMed Central ensure article metrics are reliable?
- What plans does BioMed Central have to enhance its article metrics?
- Other useful links and tools relating to article metrics